Shepherds pie, feminist style ;)


The other night I wanted something hearty for dinner and so I decided on a lentil and sweet potato shepherds pie. However, I have decided to call it a Shepherdess pie, as I only ever think of males when I hear the word Shepherd - and I'm suuuure there are female shephards too!***

Shepherdess Pie:


1 large carrot, diced
1 celery stick, diced
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic
2 bay leaves
3 mushrooms, chopped
1/2 eggplant, diced
1/2 zucchini, diced
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
2 cups vegie stock
1 teaspoon sriracha
1 Tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
salt
pepper

1 tin lentils

Top:
2 big sweet potatoes
1 normal potato; steamed and mashed.
1 Tablespoon butter
1 Tablespoon soy milk
1 teaspoon salt

to serve:
1 bunch asparagus
butter
lemon juice

Preheat oven to 180C.
In a big saucepan, fry the carrot, celery, onion and garlic on a low heat until softened but not browned. Add in the bay leaves and the rest of the vegetables. Cook them for another 5 minutes unti they are softer and then add in the tomato paste. Stir it until it is throroughly combined and then add in everything else apart from the lentils. Stir and lower the heat and leave to thicken and cook fully through; about 10 minutes. Take off the heat and add in the lentils (so they don't overcook). 

In a big casserole dish pour in as much lentil mix as will fit, I kept aside about 1 cup - it would be great as a pasta sauce too! Top with the combined mash mix of sweet potato, normal potato, butter, milk and salt. Rough it up with a fork and bake in the oven until golden and crisp on top - about 20-30 minutes.


Blanch asparagus in boiling water for about 2 minutes, overcooked asparagus is the WORST. While still hot, place on plate and top with a tiny amount of butter, a squeeze of lemon juice and freshly cracked black pepper. ASPARAGUS SERVED THIS WAY IS THE ABSOLUTE BOMB SHIZNIT.  eat eat eat eat.


Another night we had the leftovers as a side with a lentil pattie and some cabbage fried with caraway and dill. NOM NOM.



** I googled it. There are. Hahahaha. Here I was thinking I made it up!


Comments

  1. I do my asparagus the same, just in a bowl with hot water and in the microwave 2 minutes- soo good!
    The pie looks sooo good too! I love pie but it always ends up bing so much work to make.

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you used sweet potato as the topping!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for perusing my blog, I'll try to reply to all comments :D

Popular Posts