The best vegan banana bread in the world. Yep, I said it.

For 1.5 years I have held the key to the best banana bread in the WORLD, but have had to keep it a sneakret! (sneaky secret, of course)

WELL NOT NOW, KIDS. IT HAS BEEN UNVEILED.


This recipe belongs to Carla, vegan chef extraordinaire over at easyasveganpie.net





I looked back, and I received this recipe in Sept of 2009 - Woah!


It would be a lie to say that I haven't made this approx 15 times.. tis possibly my most often baked good!

Basically you can go from staring at a pile of bananas (that's weird, why are you doing that?) to an entire loaf in 1 hour. ONE HOUR, GUYS.

And really only 5 mins of that involves doing any work. 

Nice butt!


Obvs
you need mooshy bananas
, so chuck em in the freezer for an hour or so and they will brown up and soften. I rest mine on top of the oven whilst it is preheating, to defrost them. 






This recipe is perfect. The only thing I change is that I normally just use regular AP flour, and I don't add nuts (as I never have them on hand). If I use AP flour, I usually also use only 1 teaspoon of baking soda and powder.

Oh Oh, I also add 3 bananas instead of 2, I know Carla doesn't like nana's too much, but I like the extra nana taste :)


it looks dry in this photo, but it is actually super duper moist

The only rule with this... which actually ruins the vegan-ness of it all (terribly sorry, Carla), is to 

slap on butter and honey when it's still warm and drink it with a cup of tea.



OR, NUTTELEX AND AGAVE! eh eh? See what I did there?


Enough chit chat. GET YOUR BAKE ON, PEOPLE.
Carla's recipe:

gluten free banana bread
Ingredients

2 cups of gluten free flour*
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup of vegetable oil*
2/3 cup of maple syrup*
2/3 cup of rice milk
1 tsp of vanilla extract
2 frozen bananas, defrosted in their skins
1 cup of walnuts, roughly chopped

1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius. Lightly grease a standard loaf pan or a small cake pan.

2. Toast the walnuts on a baking tray in the oven until they just start to brown, cool them while you make the batter. 

3. In a medium sized bowl mix together all the dry ingredients (minus the walnuts). 

4. In another medium sized bowl mix together all of the wet ingredients. Chop off the tops of the defrosted bananas and squeeze them out of their skins into the wet ingredients like toothpaste out of a tube. Weird huh! Mix the bananas into the wet ingredients then add to the dry ingredients until well combined. Gently fold the walnuts into the cake batter.

5. Pour the batter into your loaf pan till just above half way. Bake for 45 minutes. A cake is cooked when you lightly poke it, it springs back and a skewer or a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. If you cake is browning on the top too much but not cooked in the middle lower the heat a little and place a piece of baking paper on top of the cake.

*notes: I find Orgran wheat free products to be the best. I use olive oil in mainly everything, if you find the taste too overpowering use canola oil or a blended vegetable oil. If you cant afford to use pure maple syrup in baking all the time use maple flavoured syrup or the equivalent sweetener of your choice, try and keep it liquid though.


Comments

  1. yum great photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there, made this banana bread yesterday, followed the recipe to a t only added a tad less maple syrup - looked beeautiful and was so excited to try it - i cut myself a nice big piece, but as soon as i tasted it all i could taste was bitter baking soda/powder!! It was so overpowering i couldnt even taste the bananas.. Was quite disappointed. Perfect texture tho but is it really 2 tsp of both baking soda and powder??
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, that sounds really odd - I've made this recipe so many times with 2 level teaspoons of both, and have never had that happen before! I didn't even know baking powder had a taste to be honest. Are you sure it wasn't off bananas? I'm sure you could halve the amount of powder/soda and it would still rise. Sorry to hear about your failed bread! :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. not to worry - won't stop me from baking it again, but what do you think of using self raising flour instead?
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, that would definitely work! I never have any, so I just seem to make do with AP. Just thinking.. the 2 teaspoons should probably only be used with gluten free flour, and I think I unknowingly use less when I use AP flour. I should have mentioned that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful banana bread. I also wanted to lick the screen as I'm on day 22 of my 30-40 juice cleanse. Always looking for inspiration for meals to fix my family. Thank you!!
    http://veganrawfood.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, juice cleanse.. I couldn't handle being without solids for 1 day! Glad you enjoy the recipe, it really is a keeper :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omg ! I am a celiac and have been looking for a good gluten free recipe for banana bread and i think this one looks wonderful, I can not wait to make it ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know if my last post made it on here because it was from a phone, either way I was wondering if the stars beside the ingredients had anything to do with the fact that there is no xanthan gum in this recipe. I know that some people use it when making there own GF flour but I was unsure if it is actually meant to be in here?, and also just an fyi your food definitely looks amazing and colorful I cant wait to try and make them gluten free so I can try them :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for pointing that out :) the stars refer to the little note at the bottom about the ingredients. I'm not sure about the xanthan gum thing! You should def try this recipe, I make it so often, it's great! It's also really easy to freeze; just slice and freeze and then reheat in the toaster! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh ok thank you :) , Its all right I usually put it in my flour mix anyways, although I have the hardest time finding local organic items to use in my cooking, im sure there is lots because its calgary but i guess the hunt will continue. Also I am in love with your honey stick ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. They honey stick came with the pot from Le Creuset! I love it too. Do you live in Calgary? I shop at the farmers markets and honey is easy to find there :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh that's so cute it reminds me of Winnie the Pooh :) , yes I do live in Calgary. I have not yet been to the farmers market, I am glad to know it is worth going, I was planning on going soon for cherry season.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum! Yum! Yum! Yum! Yum! Thank you for sharing! Awesome and perfect banana bread.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made this yesterday and it cam out great! I did some tweaks - used coconut oil instead of olive oil and added shredded coconut instead of nuts. I also added a tiny bit of buckweat flour because I didn't have enough glutenfree mix left.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just made this and it came out perfect. Husband gave thumbs up. It's almost finished. This is definitely a keeper.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for perusing my blog, I'll try to reply to all comments :D

Popular Posts