More than just a flatbread recipe!


Sometimes you find that perfect cafe.
Sometimes you find the perfect dish on that cafe's menu.
Sometimes you go there on a weekly basis with one of your best friends and joke that you don't know what you're going to order this time.....

"x2 flatbreads with a berry smoothie and a chocolate milkshake....
Extra ice cream, please.
Extra aioli, please."



Sometimes you meet a boy and fall in love.
Sometimes that boy lives on the other side of the globe.
Sometimes you move there with him.
Sometimes you dream of that flatbread and cry yourself to sleep at night.

BUT DON'T BE SAD.

Because one day your mum will email you a recipe*.
THEN YOU WILL REALISE THAT IT IS A MAGICAL RECIPE.



You will test said recipe...
and just to make sure you will eat 5 flatbreads in 3 days. 


And you will feel bloated.

(actually what my kitchen generally looks like)
But you will know that it was the right thing to do.


For reals, guys, I know this all sounds crazy, but if there's ONE recipe you make on my entire blog.... make it this bread.

You can use it as a sammidge like I have, or you can just use it as a side.. like naan bread! Or as a snack! Heck, even breakfast!

 lettuce, tomato, zucchini, capers, pickled ginger, hoi sin, mayo, dijon mustard, hot sauce.


So simple. So soft. So full of love.

An excellent vessel for anything your little heart desires.


SERIOUS.

Flatbread.
Makes 8 flatbread.

1 pkt dried yeast (7 gm or 1.7 teaspoons)
1 tbsp sugar 
150ml lukewarm water, add as needed
 
600 gm plain flour
 (2.5 cups)
1 tbsp sea salt
 
1 tbsp olive oil
 
200gm Greek-style yoghurt 

Oil for cooking
Put yeast, sugar and 50mL of the warm water in to a small bowl and stir lightly.
Leave to activate in a warm place for 10 minutes or until frothy.
Place flour in a mixer and create a well in the centre.
Add salt, yeast mixture, olive oil and yoghurt and combine until mixture comes together and there is no flour left.
Add in the extra water if it needs it - the mixture shouldn't be sticky. 
Mix on medium speed (or knead by hand) for 5 minutes, the dough should be soft and spring back when ready.
Leave to rest for 15 minutes - THIS IS IMPORTANT, do not skip this step.
Heat a frying pan and add oil of your choice.
Roll out dough in to thin discs (it will puff up) and fry in pan for 4 minutes on each side, until brown and bubbly.
Serve with whatever your soul desires! The combinations are endless!
*I have no idea where it is from
zucchini, tomato, wilted greens, mayo, dijon mustard, hot sauce, fresh chili, sesame seeds. 

Comments

  1. fantastic post and beautiful photos.. this looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, my lovely! I think it's all down to my dslr. Get your hands on some soy yoghurt and make this bread, stat ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I researched hundreds of flatbread recipes, wading through book after book at the several libraries, quizzed a Swedish woman I met and generally gathered sooooooooo much information for you - until this recipe seemed obvious as the best one! It was supposed to be a birthday pressie for you - and I am totally thrilled that it has been a success! The carrot costume will wait for Xmas :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww- I can feel the happy coming off this!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This recipe is so yum - I've made it twice this week and passed it on to my sister too...perfect, light fluffy...so good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leslie - the happiness is just radiating out of me!

    Kate Louise - I've only made it once because I know I'll just eat it alllllll. It really is the most delicious fried bread recipe I've ever tried :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for perusing my blog, I'll try to reply to all comments :D

Popular Posts