Eggplant Parmigiana with smoky home fries and rosemary vegies. Phew.

I love eggplant. It's one of my favourite vegetables. It's so versatile and can be so many different textures. This meal is always a winner in my books because it's so hearty and the eggplant just melts in the mouth. Sometimes I breadcrumb the eggplant first and fry it off before topping it so it becomes more crispy, but tonight I wanted that melty texture.

Tonight muffin was out in the city and thus I wasn't going to make this meal as I had previously planned it for two. Then I watched this clip and changed my mind! Alone time is fine, and obviously I should treat myself to a delicious dinner for one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7X7sZzSXYs
(I love this clip. I keep watching it over and over. So lovely. WATCH IT!)

Eggplant Parmigiana with smoky home fries and rosemary vegies:

1 tin whole tomatoes tomatoes
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sriracha
1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
1 teaspoon salt
pepper
1 fresh tomato, diced

3 cloves garlic
4 potatoes, diced into cubes
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
1 Tablespoon olive oil
salt
pepper

1 Tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
4 mushrooms, diced
1/2 zucchini, diced

1 big eggplant, cut into two 1 inch slices ( I actually don't work in inches, I just assumed this was about 1 inch hahaha, use your brain and you shall prevail :D)
splash wine (i used white but red would probably be nicer)
2 slices cheese

serves 2.

First things first put the tinned tomatoes, vinegar, sriracha, chilli, salt and pepper all in a saucepan and leave to reduce. Mash the tomatoes up a bit with the spoon whilst reducing.

Preheat the oven to 200C.

Par boil the potatoes until the edges are soft and easily pierced with a fork. When draining, use the colander to shake the excess water away and also rough up the edges a little; this way they'll crisp up.
Toss the potatoes in paprika, sesame, olive oil, salt and pepper and lay on a baking tray. Throw 3 whole garlic cloves on the tray also. Cook in the oven until potatoes are crisp and browned. About 30 mins.

After about 20 mins, remove the garlic and squeeze into the tomato sauce. It will be rich and almost sweet. DELICIOUS. Add in the fresh tomato now, just to add a little texture and also sweetness.

When the potatoes are almost ready to go, fry the thick slices of eggplant on either side, deglaze with wine and place a lid on them until softened, about 5 minutes. Top with tomato sauce mixture and grated cheese and place under the grill until brown, melty and delicious.

Fry the mushrooms, zucchini and rosemary in a little butter and oil and season with salt and pepper.

EAT EAT EAT.


Comments

  1. Oh my, I must admit to not being the biggest fan of eggplant but what I *do* love is smoked paprika. And cheese. And vinegar.

    I'm seriously considering a dinner of just smoky fries dipped in tomato sauce...

    P.S. Thanks for the clip - really great to have something like that for the moments when I start feeling *really* single...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked that video. This eggplant dish looks delish! Mushrooms, eggplant, and tomato sauce are some of my favorite foods.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for perusing my blog, I'll try to reply to all comments :D

Popular Posts